Are you a fan of tabbouleh (tabouli) but have been avoiding gluten? Or interested in some more salad recipes to try with the warmer weather just around the corner? Then you should try this quinoa tabbouleh recipe.
Here is a gluten and grain free version of this middle eastern classic salad. Instead of the traditional bulgar or cracked wheat, which obviously contains gluten, my version substitutes the wheat with quinoa. It’s packed with flavour and popularly served as a side salad to grilled meats.
- 90 gms Quinoa (uncooked)
- 100 gms Parsley (stems removed)
- 6 gms Mint leaves (stems removed)
- 2 stalks Spring onions
- 4 Tomatoes
- 15 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 60 ml Lemon juice (fresh)
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Weigh the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer, rinse it well several times under cold water, and let drain for a few minutes. Add 250 gm of water into the TM bowl, add the rinsed quinoa and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook with the ‘Rice Cooker’ function OR follow the packet instructions for stove tip cooking. Place the cooked quinoa into a serving bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the tomatoes.
- Wipe out the TM bowl and add the parsley, mint, and spring onions. Chop them on speed 6 for 5 seconds. Scrape down the sides and repeat. Herbs should be finely chopped.
- Add the chopped herbs, tomato, olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings to the bowl of cooled quinoa and mix well gently by hand.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Enjoy!
Leftovers – Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
Serving size – One serving equals approximately two cups.
More flavour – Add minced garlic.
No quinoa – Use cauliflower rice, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, or lentils instead.
Note: The recipe is written for the Thermomix, but you can easily convert it to mixing in a food processor or in a bowl.
This recipe got a big thumbs up from all of the family, even those that aren’t avoiding gluten. It would be a great dish to take to a BBQ or just to make to mix up the salads that you consume. Give it a try and let me know in the comments what you think.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want to learn more about the individualized meal plans I offer or want to work with me then please head here to book in.