Sweet Potato Chips
1 Medium Sweet Potato (skin on) – use a mandolin slicer or slice option on a food processor to slice thinly.
Salt to sprinkle on top (optional)
Oven Baked Method:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and using a mandolin (or alternative mentioned below), slice them thinly.
- Place the sliced sweet potato on a non-stick baking pan. Arrange them so they are just touching, not overlapping. They will shrink and there will be enough space between them. There are enough slices that it might take you a few batches to cook them all.
- With your finger over the nozzle, sprinkle the olive oil over all the slices. You don’t need much, so use it sparingly. Too much oil, may make them soggy.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then turn each slice over and bake for a further 5 minutes. Don’t leave them any longer or they will burn.
- Once cooked, remove and place on absorbent towel to absorb any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
Shallow Fried Method:
- Heat oil in pan.
- Place the sweet potato slices in the hot oil.
- Watch carefully, as soon as turn slightly golden, turn over.
- Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Transfer to sit on paper towel to drain any excess oil. Chips will crisp up while draining.
- If desired, sprinkle with salt and enjoy.
Due to the season, I was able to get white and purple sweet potato. You can make these with any variety of sweet potato, or try another root vegetable.
These are delicious served with my guacamole.