Salt & Pepper Calamari
3 (about 600g) large cleaned squid hoods
Coconut oil for frying
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
Lemon wedges to serve
- Use a sharp knife to cut through 1 side of each squid hood lengthways. Open out flat with outside surface facing up and score surface diagonally, pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut into 6 squares.
- Heat the oil for frying until it reaches 190°C.
- Meanwhile, combine the tapioca flour, salt, pepper, and Chinese five-spice in a medium bowl. Add the squid and toss gently to coat (I stagger it, a few pieces at a time, this means the coating doesn’t go soggy and there isn’t too much cooking in the oil at any one time, bringing the temp down).
- Make sure to shake off any excess flour mixture before cooking in batches. Cook for 2 minutes or until the squid just turns golden and curls.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the squid to a large plate lined with paper towel to drain. Reheat the oil to 190°C. Repeat with the remaining squid.
- Serve immediately with salad, and top with mayonnaise and a lemon wedge.