A Panang curry is a Thai style curry and generally more milder than other Thai curries. Its perfect for the whole family and for sharing with other families.
Panang Beef Curry
3cm fresh ginger
2 tsp shrimp paste
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
Juice ½ lime
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 quantity paste
500g beef fillet, cubed
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
2 tbsp fish sauce
Juice ½ lime
Large handful fresh coriander, optional to serve.
- To prepare the paste, place the shallots, ginger, shrimp paste and garlic into your Thermomix (or food processor) and chop 5 seconds/speed 5 or until chopped finely.
- Then add the tomato paste, lime juice, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Mix again 5 seconds/speed 5 or until all combined (pictured above).
- Place the coconut oil into a pan and once it reaches the correct temperature, add the beef and brown.
- Then add the curry paste. Coat the meat and cook the paste so that it becomes very aromatic.
- Put the meat and paste into your slow cooker. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce,, lime juice and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for min 4 hours.
- Serve with cauli-rice and fresh coriander.
If you don’t want to put it in the slow cooker, you can continue to cook the curry in the pan from step 3. Just add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low.