Mediterranean Chicken Drumsticks (serves 4-6)
12 chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 large shallots
3 garlic cloves
salt & pepper
1 fresh tomato*
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
1 cup marinated artichokes
4 teaspoons capers
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- Brown the chicken drumsticks in a medium hot pan with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Making sure that each leg is browned on all sides.
- Once browned, remove and set aside in a baking dish. Arrange them so each leg is touching the bottom and they aren’t crowded. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the TM bowl add the shallots and garlic. Mince on speed 4-5 for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat until all evenly chopped.
- Add the coconut oil and sauté for 2 mins/100 degrees/speed 1.
- Add the fresh tomato and finely chop for 15 secs, or larger chunks.
- Add the artichoke hearts, capers, sundried tomatoes, lemon juice and zest, chicken broth, coconut cream and stir together on reverse/speed 1/30 seconds.
- Pour over the browned drumsticks in the baking dish. Spread over evenly.
- Bake for approx. 50 mins or until the drumsticks are cooked through. Mix the sauce around with the drumsticks several times through the cooking time, to ensure the sundried tomatoes don’t blacken too much.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, with steamed vegetables or a baked sweet potato.
*The one fresh tomato I use helps to create the sauce and adds a deeper tomato flavour to it.