These rolls are a great gluten and grain free roll. They are safe, being nut free, to send in the kids lunchboxes.
Grain Free Bread Rolls (Nut & Dairy Free) Makes 8
50 gm physillium husks
90 gm coconut flour
25 gm chia seeds
25 gm pepitas/pumpkin seeds
25 gm linseed/flax-seed, plus extra
50 gm sesame seeds, plus extra
15 gm coconut sugar
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp himalayan salt
400 gm water
2 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In the Thermomix (TM) bowl place the physillium husks for 30 seconds/speed 10.
- Add all the remaining dry ingredients and process 10 secs/speed 6. The mix should resemble a nut meal with some of the seeds still visible, or not completely ground up.
- With the blades moving on speed 1-2, add the coconut oil,eggs and water quickly. Increase the speed to 7 and mix for 15 seconds.
- Bring the mixture together on your Thermomix mat or non stick board. Divide dough into 8.
- Roll each portion into a ball and then pat down into round disc shapes about the size of your palm, approx. 1.5 cm’s high (pictured above). They wont rise or expand a great deal, so shape them as you want to see the finished product.
- Place them on a lined flat baking tray and cook on 200°C for 25 mins (depending on your oven it could be 20-30 mins so keep and eye on them).
- Take them out of the oven and let cool on the tray, then a wire rack.
Slice and enjoy!
– These directions will give a multi/whole grain type of texture to the roll. You can mill the seeds for longer at the start to achieve more of a white bread look. After trying the two, this method is my preferred.
– The recipe makes 8 larger sized rolls, but you can change it and divide to make 10-12 mini dinner sized rolls or 6 longer pita style rolls.
– The coconut sugar helps to give a crust to the outside of the roll. It doesn’t add too much sweetness to the recipe, and could easily be left out.
– To freeze, slice hem in half and then freeze them as they may crumble if you’re trying to cut defrosted.