Chicken Strips (nut free)
8 chicken thighs
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Slice each of the chicken thighs into three pieces or strips. I lay the thigh flat and cut across the thigh.
- In one bowl, whisk the two eggs together.
- In a second bowl combine the coconut and tapioca flours, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano. Whisk them together to evenly mix spices through.
- In your pan, heat enough coconut oil to shallow fry the strips. I use about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of coconut oil each time and split my batch in two. Changing the oil half way through, as it gets dirty and darkens.
- In batches first place the chicken thigh strips into the egg mixture, coating well, then into the flour mixture. Making sure that it is well coated. Then carefully place into the hot oil. *You are only browning the outside of the nugget to give it a nice golden colour and the crust a crunch.
- Then once it is golden on one side, approximately 30 seconds, flip it and repeat. When both sides are golden place it onto a flat oven tray.
- Repeat steps 6 & 7, coating and browning each piece of chicken in small batches. *Don’t forget to change the oil once it darkens, about half way through.
- Place the full tray of browned chicken thighs into the oven and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Make sure that all the chicken has evenly cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy.
I serve them with my paleo mayo recipe (you can find here), but I roughly doubled the lemon to make it into a tangy aioli like sauce.