Here’s a staple recipe to have on hand. Tomato paste can be the base for many curries or sauces.
Tomato Paste (two ways)
1.5kg ripe tomatoes
1 tablespoon of honey/coconut sugar
I teaspoon of rock salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 bay leaves
- Place the tomatoes into the TM bowl.
- Remove the MC and cover lid with TM basket to release steam.
- Chop for 10-20 seconds on speed 6.
- Add salt, honey, oil and bay leaves.
- Cook for 40 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
- Turn speed slowly up to 6, then build up to 9, to blend it.
- Scrape down the sides, then cook for another 40 minutes/Varoma/speed 1
- Check for preferred consistency.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 if too much liquid.
- Store in sterilised jar
2 – 2.5 kilos tomatoes
- Core the tomatoes and slice .5cm thickness.
- Lay them on a tray and bake on the lowest setting for 5-6hrs.
- You don’t want them to be completely dried out, they need a small amount of moisture.
- Once oven dried, place them in a Thermomix/food processor/blender and blitz.
- You may need to add a small amount of water if too dry.
Many of the options available on the shelf at your local supermarket are full of sugars, colourings, additives, and preservatives.