One of my favourite breakfasts to cook up on the weekend are these eggs. They are true comfort food with the added benefit of being gut healing.
Smokey Baked Eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
4 rashes bacon, diced
6 mushrooms, diced
1 capsicum, diced
4 tomatoes, diced
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1/4-1/2 cup bone broth
4 eggs (or one egg per person)
Oregano to serve
- Place the oil (if using) into a deep pan. Fry off the onions and garlic.
- Add the bacon and brown.
- Then add the capsicum and mushrooms to cook through. Keep moving the ingredients around every now and then, so that they cook evenly.
- Next, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika and bone broth and stir through. Turn the temperature down to low-med and simmer for a minute.
- Then with the back of a spoon make pockets/holes to crack your eggs into. Make one pocket at a time, then crack the egg into it, then make the next pocket. This will stop the pockets from filling back up before you crack each egg into it. You want the egg to be level with the mixture, not sitting above the top and running out from its pocket.
- Put a glass lid (better to see through) on or cover and cook the eggs until they are how you like your eggs cooked. I like the yolk slightly runny. It will only take a minute or two, so make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Serve it straight away, sprinkled with oregano, and enjoy!