Here’s a recipe to please the kids! These simple chicken nuggets are tasty and free from all the nasty preservatives and additives that you’ll find in the shop bought varieties.
Chicken Nuggets (nut free)
2 chicken breasts
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. dried herb (I use oregano)
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees. Place a tray with a rack inside.
- Dice your chicken breasts into large cubes or nugget like shapes.
- In one bowl, whisk the two eggs together.
- In a second bowl combine the almond and tapioca flours, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and herbs. Use a fork to mix them together evenly.
- In your pan, heat enough coconut oil to shallow fry the nuggets.
- In batches first place the diced chicken into the egg mixture, then into the almond mixture and then into the hot oil. You are only browning the outside of the nugget to give it a nice golden colour and the crust a crunch.
- Then once it is golden on one side, flip it and repeat. When both sides are golden place it into the oven on the wire rack to keep warm and ensure they are cooked through.
- Repeat steps 6 & 7, coating and browning the chicken in small batches. (Note: The oil may discolour from crumb coating being left behind in the oil. If this happens you may want to change the oil half way through.)
- Make sure that all of the chicken has evenly cooked in the oven. Serve and enjoy.