Just two ingredients and you have the perfect side dish for a curry or a stir-fry.
HOW TO MAKE & COOK CAULI-RICE (Cauliflower rice)
1 head of cauliflower
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Remove the outer green leaves and the end of the stem.
2. Cut the head of the cauliflower into evenly sized florets. Make sure to cut the stem up too (no wastage).
3. Place half of the florets into the Thermomix (or food processor) and blitz for 4-5 seconds on speed 5. Don’t over do it, you are after a rice consistency, not slush. Pour it into a bowl to the side.
4. Repeat with the second half of the cauliflower.
5. Heat the two tablespoons of coconut oil in a deep non stick pan on medium heat.
6. Add the cauliflower and cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Make sure to keep moving the cauliflower. You don’t want it to brown. As you continue to stir it and as it cooks through the cauliflower will absorb all the coconut oil and become slightly translucent.
7. You can serve it straight away with one of my other main dishes or pop in your ‘Thermoserver’ (if you have one) so that it can stay warm while you finish cooking.
TIP: If your looking to add some extra flavour to your cauli-rice, I add either a shallot or clove or two of garlic when blitzing it in the Thermomix. It will chop up finely with the cauliflower, and as it fries off it will leech all its flavour into the cauli-rice.
If you find cauliflower cheaper, buy in bulk. You can cut it into florets, or even better, blitz it into cauli-rice and freeze it raw in portions. It makes life even easier to be able to grab and cook it up quickly.
If your trying to get more vegetables into your diet or on your little ones plate, then cauliflower rice is a great way to achieve that. I know that some people steam their cauli-rice in the Thermomix, but I never liked it that way. Cooking it in the pan has a lot more flavour as well as being very quick. I think its also a better texture this way.