My sweet tooth is a big fan of anything with fresh berries or lemon. Dishes on the dessert menu with either of those ingredients (or even better both) would always be my choice. So naturally I wanted to make up a healthy lemon slice recipe so that I don’t have to miss out.
1.5 cup almond flour
1.5 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup butter (or more coconut oil)
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- In the TM bowl, pulse the walnuts on Turbo until they resemble coarse meal.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the base and mix 10 secs/speed 3 or until just combined, taking care not to mix it too much.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a square silicon or lined non stick baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool.
For the topping:
- Combine the lemon juice, eggs, and honey in a clean TM bowl. Mix it 5 mins/80 degrees/speed 2-3.
- Slowly pour in the coconut oil while the mixture is spinning.
- Stir until the mixture thickens – this happens very quickly so watch closely. It takes about 5 mins, but keep an eye on it, it may even need another 30 secs.
- When thickened, spread evenly over the baked crust. Smooth the surface.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until completely chilled.
- Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in fridge.
The base isn’t firm like a biscuit base might be, but if you make sure it is browned it should hold its shape very well.
You could also use this topping recipe in a tart form, yum!